Well hiya guys. I’ve got a couple of blog posts either ready to roll or close to so let’s jump right in…
It’s fun. It’s easy. It’s playful.
I got in early with this make as a pattern tester….and I’ve been wearing it frequently on the QT. It’s already become a warm weather favourite. No fuss. Cool. Nonrestrictive. Wear it with a tee or a tank…even over your swimsuit.
And that’s just spring/summer styling. I can totally see myself wearing the York with a turtleneck bodysuit and leggings in autumn. But…please….let’s not rush things…we’ve not yet arrived at summer here in lovely, green Vancouver.
I pattern tested View A…large scooped patch pockets, deep neckline and knee length. View B is shorter, has a high neckline and a cute kangaroo pocket. Obvs…you can mix and match elements to create your signature pinafore.
The neckline and armhole edges are finished with bias tape facings. Of course you can use purchased tape but Helen also includes a how-to for making your own bias tape.
There are instructions for doing a FBA on the York, but on me the result was a too low neckline. My best fit was using the pattern size based on my upper bust measurement with no FBA. With only two main pattern pieces, it’s pretty straightforward to paper fit to your body before cutting into your fabric. Please note that the final version of the York Pinafore has been altered slightly. The scooped neckline has been adjusted to make the curve less steep and the bodice has been shortened by 1/2″. I’ll be implementing these changes on my next make…the result will be a little more bust coverage.
Can pockets ever be too deep? Nu-uh, don’t think so. These are patch pockets with the outside edges integrated into the side seam. The inside top of the pockets are edged with bias tape.
High neckline at the back…cocoon shaped silhouette…no gaping at the waist.
Ta da. That’s really about it…this is a straightforward make….no challenging zippers or buttons.
Today, I’m also wearing a Megan Nielsen Rowan Tee. Fabric is Art Gallery’s Wild Bloom – Lively Rosebuds, purchased from Thread Count Fabrics. I played around a bit with the neckline…attempting a boat neck….but it wasn’t a complete success. I wanted it to appear wider but I’m maxed out on width…the neck ribbing is pretty much butted up to where the sleeve attaches to the shoulder. That being said, I still like the tee…and yes, it’s drafted for a close fit with a bodysuit option.
Okay…I tried to keep it short and sweet today as I’m popping back soon….