My London Backpack : : LBG Studio : : #makenine2019

I’ve been slowly chipping away at my #2019makenine grid…and the experience is proving to be quite a different ride than last year.

Apparently I’m less than committed to some of the choices I’ve made.

Which is good.

Good? you ask…

Yes. You see for me the challenge is about more than ticking off achievements. Sewing from my fabric stash remains the basis for my choices…but make nine has me digging deeper. I’m consciously asking, ‘Will I wear it (or if an accessory, Will I use it)? Will I love it? And…will my make have longevity?’

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

In my make nine grid I had paired (with some hesitancy) the London Backpack by LBG Studio with a lovely blue and white fabric. Then I actually wrote the words….’What I really want is a backpack  that looks rather like a rucksack…maybe leather or suede… definitely a solid, neutral fabric‘.

I didn’t have the leather or suede, but I did have this navy hued cotton twill…in other words; a solid, neutral fabric….which was otherwise assigned to be Burnside Bibs.

I’m happy I was hesitant. It caused me to think more carefully. And now….this backpack….I love. I use it constantly. It may not be leather or suede, but it’s brilliant just the same.

London Backpack : : LBG Studio

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

All righty…let’s get to some pattern details.

The London Backpack isn’t huge. Finished measurements are:

Height: 12 1/2″ (32cm)
Width: 13″ (33cm)
Depth: 5″ (13cm)

For me, it functions perfectly as a purse, yet I can carry books or small purchases effortlessly.

This bag comes as a PDF with actual pattern pieces. I found the instructions detailed and easy to follow. Suggested fabrics, pattern layouts, sewing terminology…it’s all there.

Of note….The London is drafted for the flap to have a magnetic closure…the toggle and D Ring closure is my own addition. No other changes were made to the pattern.

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

Straps are made from self fabric and are adjustable. The pack also has a hanging loop, or handle, at the top.

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

There is a ‘hidden’ outside pocket. I love the thoughtful addition of a zipper cover.

Quilting cotton or similar weight fabric with a secondary canvas interlining is suggested. Optionally one could…and I did…..use a heavier outer fabric and omit the interlining altogether.

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

The London has both an exterior flap and a drawstring closure. A self-fabric drawstring is threaded through six eyelets and a casing in the back lining.

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

The backpack is fully lined and includes instructions for a zippered interior pocket.

London Backpack, LBG Studio, A Colourful Canvas, Vancouver Sewing Blogger

Honestly…there isn’t one thing on this backpack that I would change.

I believe that successful bag making relies not only on a well drafted pattern, but also on quality hardware. My sources are as follows:

Sallie Tomato : : Gold Grommets and Gold Slider Buckles
Emmaline Bags : : Rectangular Rings, Swivel Hooks, and D Rings
LBG Studio : : London Backpack Pattern

I didn’t venture far for photographs. I’m in my back garden. Standing out there pondering however do I get my links in my wordpress.org blog to show in a contrast colour? Do any of you wonderful bloggers have the answer?

13 Comments

• Reply Vancouver Barbara July 4, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Looks great. You did a beautiful job making it. I love all the thought behind it. Well done. Brava!

• Reply Sue July 5, 2019 at 9:30 am

Thanks Barbara! There’s something about bag making that I really love….and you’re right, it’s all the thought that goes into personally it! I don’t make many bags…they can be a bit fiddly what with all the interfacing etc…but the ones I have made please me enormously!

• Reply Manju July 4, 2019 at 10:59 pm

This looks so smart. Would it work in leather I wonder? Well done

• Reply Sue July 5, 2019 at 9:33 am

Thanks Manju!

That’s the big question mark above my head too! 🙂 Will it work in leather?

I actually think it will work in leather, but my greatest challenge might be the limitations of my sewing machine. I find I have challenges even with sewing jeans sometimes. That being said, I’ve got my eyes open looking for a buttery soft, lightweight leather…or even better…suede. I think it could be fabulous!

• Reply Sherry - Petite Over 40 July 5, 2019 at 12:35 am

Oh, Sue. I really hope my comment makes it through here. This bag is *so good.* As you said, it has this very practical side to it–good size, easy to custom fit on the straps–and then it has your personal, scrumptious touches. THAT BLUE, for example. :swoon: And the lining, along with the color of the grommets and toggle–this is classic but better.

I feel like I need to get a little better with my zipper-installation techniques before I can tackle this bag, but now I have yours to dream towards. ::swoon again::

Hugs,
    Sherry

PS: As for the contrasting link color…I don’t have an answer, but I will keep it in mind as I’m researching some other WordPress issues. If I find something, I’ll let you know!

• Reply Sue July 6, 2019 at 9:41 am

YAY! You are no longer sitting in my spam. I hope it wasn’t too uncomfortable for you there, 🙂 🙂 🙂

Zippers do take a bit of practice but you are doing so brilliantly with your sewing, it won’t be long before zips are old hat for you! I thought adding the zipper flap thingy might be really hard, but Vanessa has very good instructions and the pattern pieces line up perfectly.

As we’ve discussed via email, I’ve worked out a patch of a a sort that allows my links to show up in their customary pink hue!

• Reply No Fear of Fashion July 5, 2019 at 7:22 am

Although I am not a rucksack person myself, I think you did very well. Love the solid outer fabric (very wise) with the blue and white striped inside. And the the toggle and D Ring closure gives it an elegant vibe.
    As for the colour of the links….. I think you should look at:
    Appearance -> Customize -> General settings -> Typography -> Body link colour.
    Greetje

• Reply Sue July 5, 2019 at 9:36 am

Thank you Greetje! The colour palette is working well with my wardrobe and that is important to me…thanks for noticing! And thanks also for ‘seeing’ the elegance of the toggle closure. That’s exactly what I was aiming for. Honestly…it’s these details that I enjoy thinking about in the planning stages!

I will check your suggestions, but I think my colours are set correctly. I haven’t changed anything but since the latest update my links do not show in their customary pink colour.

• Reply Catherine Daze July 6, 2019 at 12:48 am

That looks so professional; what a beautiful job!

• Reply Sue July 6, 2019 at 9:38 am

Thank you very much Catherine!

• Reply Sheila (of Ephemera) July 9, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Oh, I love this knapsack, Sue! It’s the perfect spring/summer pack, and I can see you wearing it a ton. It would be gorgeous in a supple leather (yellow??). Hope your summer is going well, my dear!

• Reply Sue July 30, 2019 at 6:59 pm

YIKES! Sorry I missed replying to your comment Sheila. I read it and immediately started dreaming of buttery yellow leather, LOL. I’m a bit nervous about sewing leather, but I really want this knapsack in a suede or soft leather. There is a leather shop in Vancouver and I am keeping an eye on their stock to see if something suitable comes up for winter sewing!